Friday, February 06, 2009

Dirt Cake




While I am well aware that this is not a mind-blowing idea; bear with me I am a Mom. A while back I volunteered to make a snack for Cammy's class since they were covering the letter "D". I thought over and over as to what to make since there are limited foods beginning with letter D. I figured either donuts or dirt cake would fit the bill nicely. After asking her teacher if she thought this was too messy and getting an okay, I went with dirt cakes. I figured the kids would have the most fun with this.

I was not wrong. I did not take a lot of time making these since I know kids are happy with nearly anything. Simply chocolate pudding, crushed Oreos, and gummy worms. I found little clear plastic cups at the grocery store which I figured would be perfect since kids like having their own individual-"I don't have to share" servings. Upon assembling them, I underestimated the amount of gummy worms and they looked pretty bare on their own.

Mind you, this was late at night and I was not thinking incredibly clearly and could not run out to the store. I combed over my pantry to see what I could throw together and the pickings were slim. So, I made sugar cookies and threw in an ungodly amount of red food coloring(parents that like to keep things natural, if you are reading this, sorry!) and made lady bug cookies. I know, I know you are asking "why not just frost them red?" I was out of confectioners sugar. Not one of my crowning moments. After making the dough, I thought of a zillion ways I probably could have done these better and with less coloring. But they were delicious and the kids loved them, so why not?

6 comments:

Lynn said...

Cute Carla. Your are very inventive.

Lynn

Carla said...

I never would have thought about the lady bugs on top! Great job. Glad the kids loved it :)

Erika said...

Those are very cute! I think frosting would have taken away from the cuteness factor.

CB said...

You have put all store bought snack Mommies to SHAME! Heh hehe hehe...VERY cute!!

Billy Hirner said...

Holy dirt and worms, Batman!!! That looks tasty.

Tiffanee said...

So cute!! My daughter was drooling behind me just looking at the picture.