Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Cherry Clafouti

Cherry Clafouti

If I could pick any career to train for, with no strings attached(money, daycare, etc.) it would probably be a pastry chef. I really love the creativity in this profession. However, culinary school is the price of a small mortgage and I have babies to raise, for a few more years at least. Not that I am complaining - please don't get me wrong. I love my life right now, but a girl can dream, right? I have freedom in my kitchen to do whatever I please. So I am kind of like a pastry chef - only, with no demands on me, so it's better, right?

...more?

All that said, Gale Gand is my absolute favorite pastry chef. She is an absolute rock star. I love her whimsical playfulness and creativity. I have never eaten a Tru, but would love to one day. I hope to make a trip to Illinois just to do so.

For now, I do have the privilege of owning two of her cookbooks, which oddly, I have not blogged enough? I should use these more often. One of my top favorite baking books is Short + Sweet . Time and time again I have turned to this book when I needed an impressive and reliable dessert last minute. Pressed for time, but having the boss over? This is your book!

This clafouti was so easy to put together and tasted great! I have never made a clafouti before, but if this is any indication - I will be making this again. I really love fruity desserts. This batter reminds me of a crepe batter. You simply stir the ingredients together and let them sit for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle the top with frozen cherries and bake! It really could not get any easier. I started this at 7 in the evening and was eating it by 9:30 PM. I can not wait to play around with different fruit options. Speaking of running short on time, I will have to post the recipe later; I need to get dinner started.

Updated to add recipe here.

5 comments:

Grace said...

i've seen quite a few pictures of clafouti recently, but this one trumps them all! it looks incredible! :)

Carla said...

Thanks, Grace! I'm still learning so much about photographing food. It didn't taste half bad either ;)

dabooklady said...

I love the idea of a chef...yummy come on over and join in on recipe contest at
http://dabookrecipe.blogspot.com/2008/03/march-contest-all-about-recipes.html

I agree taking shots of food is like taking shots of flowers. Its fun but a lot to learn about. my
http://pbdesigns.blogspot.com blog has some of my shots...

Elle said...

I've always wanted to make a clafouti, and cherries are one of my absolute faves! I use them whenever I can. This looks fantastic!

natesgirl said...

it looks divine!!!