Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Roasted Veggie Soup



After having pasta last night, then leftovers for lunch and being out in the hot sun today, I wasn't up to cooking much of anything. I know, soup is a weird thing to want after being in the hot sun. However, salad wasn't an option because I wasn't going to run to the grocery store since I have to go in a couple of days for my big shopping trip. If produce kept longer here, I'd keep lettuce stocked. But it doesn't, so I don't.

I knew I had leftover bits of produce that needed to be used, so I went to work. I just sort of threw this together as I went with not much of a plan, just a general idea. It hit the spot perfectly, the Hub loved it, so did the kiddos so I'd say a job well done. I will keep this in the back of my mind in the future as it's a perfect way to use random veggies up.

I know this is pushing it a bit, however, I will submit this to Soup's On as well. Thanks to Alanna for hosting this event. Soup is one of my favorite foods so I am anxious to try out other blogger's recipes.

Roasted Veggie Soup

1 lb. carrots, sliced
1 bulb fennel, sliced
1/2 white onion, sliced
6 garlic cloves
1/2 red onion, sliced
7 c. water
5 tsp. Better than Bouillon
salt and pepper
half and half, if desired

Place vegetables on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast at 450ยบ for 20 to 30 minutes. Heat water and Better than Bouillon in a pan until hot. Add roasted veggies to water mixture and here is where you would get your immersion blender, if you have one, or, if like me, puree in batches in blender until smooth. Season to taste and serve with a half and half if desired.

4 comments:

Alanna said...

Hi Carla ~ Push away, my dear, you're not the first (nor the last?) to contribute more than one soup. That's the great thing about soup, yes?! Thanks for this inspiration too. I'm a real fan of the very simple soups.

bee (jugalbandi.info) said...

this is a nice way to use fennel. i love the colour of the soup.
- bee

bee (jugalbandi.info) said...

this is a nice way to use fennel. i love the colour of the soup.
- bee

Carla said...

Thanks for hosting Alanna, I really enjoyed participating.

bee, I thought so, don't you love the taste of roasted fennel?