Monday, February 19, 2007

Cream of Asparagus Soup




One of my gripes about asparagus is the fact that you have to trim it. I look at the pile of what could be consumed and it upsets me. Asparagus happens to be rather pricey overseas, I don't know how much it is in the States, however at $5-$6 a bunch I really hate to throw away those ends. I always have good intentions of saving them too, but forget and throw them down the garbage disposal. Not this time!

I saved the ends and put them in a bag for when I was wanting something other than sandwiches or leftovers for lunch. Today was the perfect day. It's not much to look at, but I assure you, it was packed with flavor.

The other day while browsing the soup aisle in the Commissary. I came across a new jar that was not there at my previous trip. I have heard about this from various blogs and decided to give it a try rather than buying the cans/cartons of chicken stock. At $3, it's a bargain since you only use 1 tsp. to equal 1 can of stock and it goes very far. Not to mention, the flavor is uncomparable.

I haven't ever participated in a blogging event before, but have always been interested. So, this sounds like a perfect way to get my feet wet. I am contributing this to Soup's On! at A Veggie Venture.

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Trimmed ends from one bunch of asparagus, chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
2 tbsp. butter, halved
salt and pepper
4 c. water
3 tsp. Better than Bouillon
3/4 c. half and half
1 tbsp. flour
nutmeg

Saute onion and asparagus ends in 1 tbsp. butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Once onion is softened, add water and Better than Bouillon, bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes, or until tender. Once asparagus is tender puree in blender until to desired consistency. Strain vegetable mixture in a sieve. In pan, melt 1 tsp. butter, add flour, salt, and pepper, to taste. Cook for a minute or two. Add half and half, heat through, grate in a bit of nutmeg to taste. Add strained vegetable mixture into pan and heat through.

1 comments:

Alanna said...

Hi Carla ~ For an event 'first-timer', you did beautifully! Heavens, for an event veteran, you did beautifully!! And the soup is perfect, using up those leftover bits. Thanks so much for the contribution to Soup's On! Next Up: Sugar High Friday?!!